AEC Halfling Thief - hiding in the shadows

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

AEC Halfling Thief - hiding in the shadows

Postby noahjgreen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:09 am

Quick question: just like regular LL, the AEC describes the Halfling as being able to
hide in shadows or behind other forms of cover when underground in labyrinths or caverns on a roll of 1-2 on 1d6, but they must be silent and motionless.

That is about a 33% chance of success.

Now in AEC, a Halfling can choose the Thief class. There, they get a +10% bonus to the "Hide in Shadows" Thief ability. But the base abilities for Thief levels 1 through 4 are 13%, 17%, 20%, and 27% respectively. Add the +10% and you have 23%, 27%, 30%, and 37% for levels 1 to 4. So a Halfling Thief would seem to have an inferior chance of hiding in shadows as compared to just a plain old Halfling, at least until it reached 4th level. The Thief must also remain "motionless," so this really is the same hide in shadows ability as the Halfling version.

I'm sure that the intent is not for low-level Halfling Thieves to be worse at hiding in shadows than plain old Halflings. Am I missing a rule somewhere, or is this one of those things that's open to interpretation? If the latter, how would you resolve it?
noahjgreen

Re: AEC Halfling Thief - hiding in the shadows

Postby DavetheLost » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:21 pm

This is similar to the situation with finding traps in basic LL. Everyone has a 1 in 6 (or 17%) chance of doing so, but a first level thief has only a 14% chance.

My way of dealing with this is to give them two rolls. The normal roll that everyone gets first, then if that fails they roll the thief skill.

I would be open to the argument to just use the better chance of the two. I certainly don't think it is right that a first level thief should be worse at these abilities than a non-thief.
DavetheLost

Re: AEC Halfling Thief - hiding in the shadows

Postby noahjgreen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:16 am

Thank you! Both of your approaches make very good sense to me.
noahjgreen

Return to Labyrinth Lord