LL for PBP Optimization

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

LL for PBP Optimization

Postby Valdus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:33 pm

I am starting two LL games offsite. How does one optimize LL for maximum efficiency on a pbp? Specifically can the interchange of hero and antagonist be decided in one post, or, dare I say, one roll? One to decide victor and defeated, living and dead?

The back and forth crunch of tabletop is not the best for pbp.
Valdus

Re: LL for PBP Optimization

Postby bighara » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Good question!

I am not a Play by Post expert, but several people here have run longstanding PbPs on the forums. Take a look at the inactive forums on this page for some archived examples.

Here's a favorite of mine, but I'm biased because I wrote the module :D

viewforum.php?f=41
bighara

Re: LL for PBP Optimization

Postby merias » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:40 pm

I play in the game bighara mentions (now it is run over at Unseeen Servant since Dan locked the PbP forums here), and I think the best way to keep a PbP running (apart from regular posting by the LL) is to provide as much info in your posts as you can, to include player status and frequent maps with locations of the players, monsters and important items. Greyarea (who is running the aforementioned game) does this all amazingly well. Personally I also like to roll dice for the players, and just have them state actions, but there are some very long-running games at Unseen Servant that do mostly player rolls, and it seems to work. It can be slower, however.

I wrote up something relevant a while back that you can read here:

https://smolderingwizard.com/2013/11/12/tips-on-play-by-post-dungeon-mastering/
merias

Return to Labyrinth Lord