The very first blob (-like creature)

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

The very first blob (-like creature)

Postby Gregorius21778 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi folks,

as I started to create another blob for my current OSR group today, I wondered who first came up with the idea of such a creature, anyway.

Unlike vampires, they are unlikely to be creatures of any cultures mythologie (if you now a reference to proof me wrong, tell me! :) ) So, I guess somebody must have started to use them in fiction, the one way or the other.

Currently, I blame H.P. Lovecraft for it, as his novella "Mountains of Madness" featured a blob-like creature (a Shoggoth). This one had been released in 1936.

Does anybody of you folks know about source that was released earlier than that?
Sincerely: Gregorius21778
################################
If you like my stuff, please visit my blog.
I am furthermore looking for reviews of my products.
Gregorius21778

Re: The very first blob (-like creature)

Postby Vile » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:34 am

I can't think of an earlier one, but I'm pretty sure the D&D variety was based on the movie blob. IIRC it was the first D&D monster of any kind, introduced courtesy of Dave Arneson in his Blackmoor game. But I could be wrong.
Vile

Postby seneschal » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Couldn't find literary antecedents although a blobby white creature is mentioned in Call of Cthulhu as well. In addition to The Blob (1958), I recommend Caltiki the Immortal Monster (1959). Not only is the Italian Blob a Mayan goddess but she has hungry babies, too.
seneschal

Postby Gregorius21778 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:45 am

Hi folks,

thanks for the input! If Call of Cthulhu contains "white blobby", the year will be 1926 then (but still good ol´Howard).

And thanks for dropping the name of the movie Caltiki: I know "the Blob" but found it rather boring, as there was WAY to much screentime filled with American teenage and smalltown stuff. While "Caltiki" is a howling piece of trash cinema, it is the far more enjoyable movie (perhaps with a drink or two).
Sincerely: Gregorius21778
################################
If you like my stuff, please visit my blog.
I am furthermore looking for reviews of my products.
Gregorius21778

Return to Open Discussion