Redwall, Secret of Nimh type rules.

For discussion of other games.

Redwall, Secret of Nimh type rules.

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:45 pm

There are few neat rules for animal type games.

Rabbits & Rangers is based on LL. $2 for the pdf.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/191 ... st_epoch=0

New version of Woodland Warriors too. $5

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/205 ... st_epoch=0

Harvesters by TLG, quite pricey.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/81918/Harvesters

Im thinking of throwing together a game, but it might get pushed back with Mutant Crawl Classics RPG being released very soon.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: Redwall, Secret of Nimh type rules.

Postby seneschal » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:40 pm

I had hoped Mouse Guard would be that game for me, but I couldn't grok the Burning Wheel system even in stripped-down form. :cry: Love the comics.

I suppose any generic rules set with a scaling system could work. Both source inspirations focus on action rather than magic or unusual abilities, with snakes, cats and dogs being giant monsters and humans being absent or incomprehensible Cthulhu-like entities. Ironclaw or Usagi Yojimbo might also serve (since, if everyone is the same size, rodent proportions aren't an issue).

The one thing that threw me a bit in the Redwall series is that actual animal sizes (and dining habits) were downplayed among the major species so that mice, squirrels, badgers, etc., could pal around on equal terms. Redwall Abbey was, apparently, a human-scale church, since scaling its walls or reaching the attic were the equivalent of climbing Mount Everest. But if so, why would small animals have built it in such proportions?

In Nimh I had to wonder why uplifted rodents would still want to associate with and even mate with mere animals like Mrs. Brisby (Frisby in the books). I suppose you're not supposed to think about it, but it works in a Disney-like setting.

If you put together a campaign I'd love to participate. ;)
seneschal

Re: Redwall, Secret of Nimh type rules.

Postby Blood axe » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:41 pm

I had hoped Mouse Guard would be that game for me, but I couldn't grok the Burning Wheel system even in stripped-down form. :cry: Love the comics.

==================

Same here. I backed Torchbearer, but could not get into the game.

Im looking into a system that I want to use. Im leaning towards Rabbits & Rangers, its based on LL and is only $2. I have the pdf and softcover. Im working on converting an old classic D&D adventure to run it. Im undecided if it should be a Redwall themed game (slightly more serious) or more silly & light hearted. It is an animal themed game after all.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Return to Other Games