I have some issues with the Force Screen mutation.

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

I have some issues with the Force Screen mutation.

Postby Agrippa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:01 am

Mutant Future Core Rules, Chapter 3: Mutations, page 29
Force Screen

This mutation allows the character to create an invisible field of energy that is difficult to penetrate. The force screen is close to the mutant’s body, extending only a few inches from his skin. It is capable of taking 5d6 hp worth of damage (the ML determines this secretly each time the power is used) before it collapses, leaving the mutant unprotected. The power may only be used once per day.

Honestly, Force Screen is kind of a weak mutation. It prevents a relatively small amount of damage, 13 or 14 average. Even then it only functions once per day, forcing you to save a rather measly defensive measure for real, in game, life or death straits. In that case an average of 13 or 14 to even a maximum of 30 points of damage reduction likely won't save you. Especially against higher level, higher damage dealing foes. It's just not a mutation I by be all that enthusiastic about, or even mildly happy about. Now a mutation like Tinker Affinity, that's a good solid mutation. Yes it too grants a modest bonus, but that bonus retains its value over the course of a campaign. It also doesn't have any usage limits, which allows any mutant with it to use Tinker Affinity as much as needed or desired.

I'm not saying that I'm opposed to usage limited mutations, far from it, I just feel that such mutations need to be more potent to justify their limited usage, that's all. To me Force Screen is just not that potent. I'm just having some problems figuring out how, so if anyone here has ideas on boosting Force Scree, or even Greater Force Screen, just let me know. I'd really like to convert these annoying bastards to MF. :twisted:
Agrippa

Re: I have some issues with the Force Screen mutation.

Postby DavetheLost » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Oh, those do look fun.

Force Screen should be easy enough to boost by increasing the amount of damage it will block. 5d6 is pretty signicant though considering an average character will have 9-12 d6 hit points.
DavetheLost

Postby Agrippa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 pm

One idea of mine is to have Force Screen scale with level, with every level after 1st granting an extra d6 to Force Screen's effect. That way a 12th level character or 12 HD monster with Force Screen would absorb 16d6 points of damage with their force field before actually taking hit point damage. That and or slow Force Screen regeneration. Every round after the 1st that you don't suffer any hit point damage, whether to your force screen or actual hit points, add 1d6 points to your force screen up to the maximum that can be rolled at once. So for 1st level PCs/NPCs and 1 HD monsters that would be a 30 point damage absorption maximum maximum. Force Screen does NOT function while resting and the mutation requires, I'll say two rounds to activate, can still only be activated once per day, or long rest if using 5e terminology. Perfect for stalkers and their Force Screen dependent invisibility.
Agrippa

Postby computervirus99 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:21 am

I would point out that the force screen will (most of the time) block damage from pretty much all medieval gear and most of the primitive firearms.
computervirus99

Postby Agrippa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 am

computervirus99 wrote:I would point out that the force screen will (most of the time) block damage from pretty much all medieval gear and most of the primitive firearms.

True, but it won't hold up to concentrated assault worth a damn. One or two good hits are enough to take down a standard force screen.
Agrippa

Return to Mutant Future